Have you ever asked yourself how long you will be able to drive and what strategies you can use to lengthen your driving years? Are you experiencing age-related changes in your vision, reaction time or other skills leading you to wonder whether you should still be driving? Are you worried about facing that decision because of the way it may impact your participation in the community? To address those concerns, the Minnesota Gerontological Society (MGS) has co-produced a documentary with Twin Cities Public Television (tpt) and a number of other sponsoring partners. The 1-hour TV documentary has recently been released on DVD. Target audiences include mature drivers and their families, as well as professionals working with seniors and interested in educating them about safe community mobility issues. The DVD is divided into chapters so that the documentary can be utilized as a training and teaching tool.
This DVD includes the whole program plus a chaptered version which allows you to stop and discuss specific topics. Copies of the DVD are available without cost to Minnesota organizations and residents while supply lasts. Minnesota residents and organization, email email@example.com to request a copy.
(Out-of-state requests will be honored with a contribution of $10 to MGS per DVD)
On-line video (on tpt website): Love Of Car: Transportation As We Age: Educating the Public
MGS Discussion Guide and Resources – Download pdf here
- A Roadmap for Driving in Later Life
– Planning Ahead to Keep Driving as Long and Safely as Possible(produced by AAA, MN Department of Public Safety, & Mobility for Minnesota’s Aging Population)
- Older Drivers in Minnesota – Power Point from MN DOT
Download here (large file)
- Transit Services in Minnesota – Maintain Mobility – Take the Bus or Train
- Resources from National Aging and Disability Transportation Center
- Go to the website for the National Aging and Disability Transportation Center