Executive Director – Independent Contractor Position
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; the position will remain open until filled
To apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to MGS President Roberta Meyers email@example.com
MGS Executive Director Job Announcement 2023 – downloadable PDF
The Minnesota Gerontological Society (MGS), founded in 1976, is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose mission is to bridge research and practice in the field of aging with an emphasis on developing and supporting tomorrow’s leaders. The Executive Director, responsible to and working collaboratively with the Board of Directors, has duties that include overseeing all aspects of the organization, ensuring operational effectiveness to meet organizational goals, championing a positive narrative for aging, supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion, and ensuring overall organizational strength.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Board Administration and Support
- Advise and inform Board members and its committees regarding the best practices for operation and administration of the Board.
- With the President, enable the Board to fulfill its governance function.
- Give direction and leadership toward the achievement of the organization’s philosophy, mission, strategy, annual goals, and objectives.
- Program, Service Delivery, Member Services and Marketing
- Oversee the design, promotion, and delivery of programs, products, and services.
- Develop and implement effective marketing strategies.
- Oversee member services and promotions.
- Manage the MGS website.
- Operations, Financial Management and Sustainability
- Develop and recommend a yearly budget for Board approval.
- Prudently manage MGS’s resources to assure fiscal sustainability.
- Seek new/expanded funding sources and sponsorships.
- Be responsible for development, implementation and evaluation of all contracts, financial documents, and binding agreements, within procedures approved by the Board.
- Recruit and supervise independent contractors, volunteers and interns for program and administrative implementation.
- Public Relations
- Develop and maintain relationships across the state with members, professionals and providers in fields related to gerontology and aging services, and with MGS sponsors and partners.
- Represent MGS through memberships in related professional groups and service on appropriate community committees.
- Solicit donors through fundraising campaigns and other strategies.
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience in and knowledge of the field of aging. The ideal candidate will have both knowledge and experience in older adult services in Minnesota as well as nationally. Preferred: secondary or advanced degree in relevant field including but not limited to public administration, business, law, social work, or gerontology.
- Demonstrated skills in collaboration, networking, relationship building, and collective action.
- Previous experience in a leadership role; preferred: experience working with a Board of Directors.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful strategic plans.
- Experience in managing computerized databases and filing systems and computerized customer relationship systems.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development, task facilitation, budget planning, and financial management.
- Strong computer, verbal, and written communication skills including the skills to perform work virtually.
Type of Position, Application Process, and Start Date
This is a virtual work from home position. MGS does not provide office space, equipment, or benefits. The Executive Director position serves as an Independent Contractor and is responsible to provide their own office, equipment, internet connectivity, and materials necessary to perform the above duties. The position is anticipated to average 25 hours per week. The compensation range is $40 – $50,000 depending on the candidate’s experience.
To apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to: MGS President Roberta Meyers firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; the position will remain open until filled
The position is projected to begin: As soon as possible as negotiated with the applicant
Questions can be addressed to: Roberta Meyers email@example.com