A team of researchers partnered to study the impact of using smart home technologies by seniors living independently. This presentation will include a brief review of the literature around smart home technology as well as a summary of the research methodology, results, and implications for the future. Participants will see and try out the technology and interact with the research team.
- Karen M Sames, OTD, OTR/L, FAOTA, Professor, Occupational Therapy, St. Catherine University
- Kimberly Barrett, Assured Living Project Manager, Best Buy Corp.
- Pennie Viggiano, VP Home and Community Based Services Benedictine Health Services
- Jennifer Hutson, MA, OT/L, Assistant Professor, Occupational Therapy, St. Catherine University
- Skye Thompson, BS, OTS, Research Assistant: St. Catherine University
- Summarize the social determinants of health and why community involvement/social connection is a significant determinant of older adult wellbeing;
- Learn about two innovative, cost-effective, and sustainable models for neighbor-to-neighbor networks that improve health and wellbeing for older adults;
- Discover how you or your organization can help foster neighbor-to-neighbor connections.