Earn 1.00 hr. CEU, pre-approved for Social Workers by BOSW; self-submit other disciplines.
MGS is an approved Continuing Education Resource by the MN Board of Nursing.
(The CEU is free for MGS members; $15 for non-members.)
By: Anita Raymond, LISW, CMC, Program Director, Volunteers of America – Minnesota, Center for Excellence in Supported Decision Making
What is Supported Decision Making (SDM), and who does it benefit? Can SDM alleviate the need for guardianship? This session will provide a brief overview of supported decision making, recent changes to Minnesota’s guardianship statute related to SDM, and describe examples where SDM was utilized as a person-centered way to support a person’s choices while balancing care and safety needs.
- Define supported decision making and incapacity according to MN statute
- Describe the role of SDM in avoiding guardianship.
- Explore how SDM can be used to support older adults with cognitive impairments at risk of guardianship.
Center for Excellence in Supported Decision Making (CESDM)
A statewide resource offering free in-depth telephone consultation, referrals, information and assistance through the Guardianship Information Line. CESDM also offers multi-dimensional assessments of persons who are at risk for guardianship/conservatorship services.
GUARDIANSHIP INFORMATION LINE
Call or email for a free consultation
Anita Raymond, LISW, director of the Center for Excellence in Supported Decision Making and Care Management & Consultation programs at Volunteers of America MN, is a frequent presenter to community and professional groups on supported decision making, guardianship and alternatives, vulnerable adults and maltreatment, dignity of risk and more. Anita is co-convener of Working Interdisciplinary Network of Guardianship Stakeholders (WINGS-MN), Minnesota Association for Guardianship and Conservatorship (MAGiC) executive board member and active participant in the Minnesota Elder Justice Center’s partners group.
Sources and Resources:
- Center for Excellence in Supported Decision Making
- Supported Decision Making Resources
- CESDM Guide to Supported Decision Making in Minnesota: A Resource Guide for Families and Other Professionals
- Guardianship and Older Adults
- Introduction and Guide to Supported Decision Making in Minnesota Jonathan Martinis / MN DHS videos
- QT Supportive Decision Making Graphic